The address book service in OCS 2007 R2 can be really frustrating since it´s one of the things that likes to be troublesome. Fortunately its almost always the same problem with it, so here are some of my notes and general troubleshooting steps on this one.
Continuous prompts for Address Book download
There is some good posts about the prompts here and here and here for OCS 2007 RTM but it can be of good knowledge for R2 as well.
Cannot synchronize with the corporate address book. This may be because the proxy server setting
I wrote a post about this a year ago which can be found here
and here are some general suggested Checks and Fixes to the: Cannot Synchronize Address Book
- Use the “Automatically detect settings” instead of specifying settings for a proxy server in IE
- For IE7 under Advanced / Security, uncheck the option “Check for server certificate revocation” and restart the browser (manually or via Group Policy)
- Ascertain that the URL listed on the certificate points to the Certificate Revocation List (CRL) Distribution Point that is reachable on the inside and/or outside network
- If OCS is deployed with digital certificates issued from an internal CA, add the .crl URL to the Trusted sites or Local Intranet zone on the Security tab in IE then exit and restart MOC e.g. http://*.cinline.se This enables the intranet URL for Address Book (AB) download to be recognized as safe and valid.
- Deploy certificates from trusted public Certificate Authority (CA) permits both domain and guest (non-domain) accounts to connect to internal OCS pools
How to check Internal Address Book URL and Output Location
- Open the OCS 2007 console and navigate the Enterprise Pool. You can see the address book URL and share location in the status page for the pool. Share Location is where the full and delta Address Book files are stored which the MOC client downloads.
Address Book URL
Or on the clients there is the “CTRL + right click the MOC icon in the taskbar feature”.
Press CTRL + right click on the communicator icon in the tray. An extra option will appear “Configuration Information…“. By clicking on this, the following information is shown :
DG URL Internal;https://internalocsserver/GroupExpansion/Int/service.asmx;–;
DG URL External;https://externalocsserver/GroupExpansion/ext/service.asmx;–;
Quality Metrics URI;sip:firstname.lastname@example.org;gruu;opaque=srvr: QoS:_Gl3lqg5Q0Wt-1IoANxE6AAA;–;
URL Internal From Server;https://internalocsserver/Abs/Int/Handler;–;
URL External From Server;https://externalocsserver/Abs/Ext/Handler;–;
Voice mail URI;sip:SipAddress@domain.com;opaque=app:voicemail;–;
MRAS Server;sip:internalEdgeServer@domain.com;gruu;opaque=srvr: MRAS:fT9RLCu0FEeOB1m3_ev67QAA;Enabled;
GAL Status;https://internalocsserver/Abs/Int/Handler;Cannot synchronize with the corporate address book. This may be because the proxy server setting in your web browser does not allow access to the address book. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.;
PC to PC AV Encryption;AV Encryption Supported;–;
Focus Factory;sip:SipAddress@domain.com;gruu; opaque=app:conf:focusfactory;–;
Telephony Mode;Telephony Dual Mode;–;
Line Configured From;Auto Line Configuration;–;
Local Log Folder;C:\Users\user\tracing;;
MAPI Information;Communicator is in the process of connecting to the Exchange server. This process may take a few minutes. Some features will not be available until the connection is complete.;MAPI Status Error;
Inside User Status;TRUE;;
Auto Update Download Started;–;–;
Auto Update Download Completed;–;–;
Last Auto Update Request;–;–;
Pairing State;Communicator cannot connect to your desk phone because the USB cable is not plugged in. Make sure that you connect the cable.;Enabled;
Some more general tips to try after the above.
Run the commands
Would you also check if OCS server connecting to back-end database server works well, plus running through all the OCS validations checks and always check if there are errors or warnings in event logs?
For some users doesn’t update address book at all, would you open e.g. https://ocs.domain.com/Abs/Int/Handler, to check if it is accessible from the computers.